The building was originally a palacehouse, like others that still remain in the city of Orihuela, it was acquired by the «Caja de Ahorros y Socorros de Ntra. Sra. de Montserrate”, which had its first seat in it until it was sold to the municipality of Orihuela, from this moment it has been used as cultural center with the name of Miguel Hernandez and it also has been used as Conservatory of Music and Dance.
In this building there are no original historical data, so it can be assumed, according to building typology and materials used, it is a palace-house, with a construction year 1850, approximately.
The first time that there are evidences about the building was because of a requested building permission for «reforming and decorating the front end” of the palace-house, according to a project that was prepared by the surveyor Ignacio Sánchez Ballesta and dated in November 22 1930.
It is aimed to work on the ground floor of the building, refurbishing the rooms located close to the main entrance of the building, to the front that falls to the street Masqueta, and even the original spaces dedicated to a safe depth, without intervening in the rest of the building.
Plaza Marqués de Rafal, s/n Orihuela
Antonio Galiano Garrigós
Jose María Germán Cecilia
Almudena Espinosa Fernández
Javier Jiménez Benito
Jaume Chicoy Mira
Lorena Jäger Merino
Evelin Cintio Grippa
Beatriz Berenguer Herrero
Sandra Escoda Pérez